cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hot Standby of LANs at a Remote Location For Disaster Recovery

w.brunson
Level 1
Level 1

My company is trying to complete a disaster recovery project. I am trying to understand what is possible for us to connect our production facility to a remote facility (over DS/3). Unfortunately, we were told we can't spend much money, so I have to work with what I have to reduce how much we spend. Now on to the good stuff...

We have a 3548 with 6 vlans defined for our DMZ subnets. We need to be able to have the same 6 subnets at the remote location. Also, we need these to be hot. I have tried connecting one switch port with ISL trunking to the router and then creating a bridge group for each vlan in the router. This worked when the two interfaces in the router were fas ethernet. But, when I tried using a serial interface, this no longer worked. I know someone has had to do this before. What are your experiences? Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Did you put the serial interface in the bridge-group?

The way you are decribing it it sounds like you need 6 bridge groups on the serial. I dont know if thats possible. I never considered doing such a thing, I usually avoid any bridging on routers.

Well, if there is an easier way I would like to avoid bridging also.

My router has six sub-interfaces on the fast ethernet and serial interface. Then I added each interface (ex fas 0/0.1 and ser 0/0.1 = bridge-group 1) to a bridge group. Then I also created a bvi interface for each bridge group.

I have seen some post talking about l2tp, but I haven't seen any configuration examples of such.