cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hot Standby of LANs at a Remote Location For Disaster Recovery

w.brunson
Level 1
Level 1

My company is trying to complete a disaster recovery project. I am trying to understand what is possible for us to connect our production facility to a remote facility (over DS/3). Unfortunately, we were told we can't spend much money, so I have to work with what I have to reduce how much we spend. Now on to the good stuff...

We have a 3548 with 6 vlans defined for our DMZ subnets. We need to be able to have the same 6 subnets at the remote location. Also, we need these to be hot. I have tried connecting one switch port with ISL trunking to the router and then creating a bridge group for each vlan in the router. This worked when the two interfaces in the router were fas ethernet. But, when I tried using a serial interface, this no longer worked. I know someone has had to do this before. What are your experiences? Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Did you put the serial interface in the bridge-group?

The way you are decribing it it sounds like you need 6 bridge groups on the serial. I dont know if thats possible. I never considered doing such a thing, I usually avoid any bridging on routers.

Well, if there is an easier way I would like to avoid bridging also.

My router has six sub-interfaces on the fast ethernet and serial interface. Then I added each interface (ex fas 0/0.1 and ser 0/0.1 = bridge-group 1) to a bridge group. Then I also created a bvi interface for each bridge group.

I have seen some post talking about l2tp, but I haven't seen any configuration examples of such.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: