Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree Protocol

chowsy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I got a cisco switch with all ports configured to a single vlan. If I turn on spanning tree protocol for all ports, and if I connect port 1 to port 2. Will it affect the network that is connected to other ports since there is a loop and hence will create broadcast storm.

The reason I asked this is that all the spanning tree protocol documents are talking about more than 2 switches which a spanning-tree capable. I am talking about a single switch with ports looping.

If spanning-tree cannot block port 1 and port 2, what is the solution to prevent broadcast storm when port 1 and 2 are connected together?

Thanks a lot.

adrian

1 Reply 1

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

if you connect connect port 1 to port 2 on the same switch, STP should block one port (probably port 2 if you leave the deafult values).

But you can create a loop when connecting a hub to port 1 and make a loop connecting together two ports on the hub.

Use STP bpduguard feature (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/65.pdf) to prevent broadcast storm in that case.

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: