Views
Helpful
Replies

Detecting OSPF route flapping

jderrien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I'm trying to develop a tool that would automatically detect OSPF route flapping. I've been told that a way to do it could be to have a spare router connected in area 0 and then activate some ospf debug on that router. However I haven't seen in cisco's doc any OSPF debug message that could potentialy reveal a flapping route.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome !

Thanks and regards

3 Replies 3

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

Not sure about the one which you have mentioned. But definetly there might be some Network Management Product like Ciscoworks RME which will do the same. It will also monitor other than OSPF domain.

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

What you can do is turn on debug ip ospf monitor . This must be in the area that you want to track down the flapping route . I would recommentd turning it on on a terminal server, or a box that really does not serve any purpose .

Thanks for the suggestion.

I thought about an alternative which could be to monitor the ospfSpfRuns counters from the OSPF MIB in order to check how often SPF runs for a given area within a given time interval. I'm assuming that an "abnormal" rate indicates a potential link/route flapping.The advantage is this option is that it's very easy to implement. The drawback is that it does not tell which specific links/routes are flapping.

I'm not an ospf guru so any comments on this are welcome.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: