Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Monitoring router reloads due to crash

Answered Question
Sep 3rd, 2003
User Badges:

Hi ,

I'm looking for a way to detect router reloads due to software crash. One way of doing it is to have a script that connect on to the routers, issue a "sh ver" and lookup the

"System returned to ROM by <reason>". <reason> being the action that triggered the reload.

I also found a "whyReload" object in the OLD-CISCO-SYS MIBs which is a string variable that contains the reason why the router was restarted. In all the routers I have this object is set to "reload". I'm wondering what are the orther values that this object can have , especially in case of crash.

Anyone with some experience with this MIB , or idea suggestions on how to track this type of event ?

Thanks

Correct Answer by rmushtaq about 13 years 11 months ago

Table 48: Deprecated and Replacement MIBs:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122relnt/xprn122/122newf.htm#28177

Isnt any replacement for whyReload so, you can use it for now.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
rmushtaq Thu, 09/04/2003 - 16:18
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Other values for this obeject include power-on, reload. I believe that for crashes, it would show somwthing like whyReload=bus error at PC 0x60F416B8.... etc. But do note that this object is deprecated.

jderrien Thu, 09/04/2003 - 23:25
User Badges:

Thanks for the information. Do you mean that you do not recommend to monitor this object because the MIB is or will not be suported anymore ? Are you aware of equivalent object available on more recent/supported MIB ?

Rgds

Actions

This Discussion