Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Metro-ethernet Secured ? Compare with FR/ATM

lorcs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just would like to understand if Metro-ethernet has the same security level as FR and ATM ? Metro-ethernet has broadcast nature and it seems mirroring ethernet frame is much more easier than FR and ATM . Is there any study onto the security issues presented in the Metro-ethernet technology ?

I see a lot of customers doing IPSec on the Metro-ethernet and they don't do this on the FR or ATM links ?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

I have not seen any document, but my understanding is that FR and ATM networks do not have broadcast capability which is an inherent security feature. Sites can communicte only if a VC is configured between them. In metro ethernet, broadcasting is possible and the providers have to implement security to islolate customers by configuring some feature. Since the customers may not trust the level of security provided by the providers, they may choose to run IPSec over this type of access.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: