cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer to Voice-mail Unified Messaging

jcampbell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation in which an office assistant has her boss's primary line on her phone as a second line. Someone will call her boss and she will answer the phone. At that point, she either takes a message or transfers the caller to the boss's voice-mail. When she does the later, the voice-mail shows up in her bosses messaging system as being sent from himself. Is there a way to correct this???

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How is the assistant transfering the call to the boss's voice mail? If the calling number provided when we take the message is found as a subscriber on the system then we'll make it a sub to sub message from that user.

You can turn this feature off system wide if you want - in the advanced settings tool you'll find an option in the conversation settings called "Disable identified subscriber messaging system wide". This will force all such calls to be left as unidentified caller messages instead of being from the assistant directly.

Be aware this affects everyone so if folks are used to being able to leave sub to sub messages (for easy reply) by just calling folks directly and leaving messages, they will lose this.

Perhaps I need to clarify this a little.

The assistant has her boss's primary line on her phone. A shared line at this point. Lets say the boss's DN is 1776 and the boss's name is "John Smith". When the assistant answers a phone call on this line (1776) and then transfers the call to the boss's voice-mail (John Smith @ 1776), the voice-mail shows up as "A message from John Smith" instead of the originating caller (which is a subscriber).

The procedure the assistant uses to transfer is

Answer call on 1776

Transfer call to 1776 "Transfer >*1776 > Transfer"

Caller is placed in voice-mail.

right... so Unity sees the calling number as 1776 which is found as the extension for the assistant and by default it'll be left as a subscriber to subscriber message to the boss from the assistant.

If you turn off the identified subscriber messaging that message would show up as an unidentified (outside) caller message which is what I think you want.

Actually what I wanted was the originating caller's (subscriber) name/number to show up, but it appears that this is not possible. Thanks anyway...

We have the same problem and it's been driving my users nuts - they keep replying to themselves! Was anyone able to come up with a solution?

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There was some work done to improve this with CCM integrations in the 7.0(3) TSP. See CSCdw49611 for details. The fix here relies on CCM sending an updated Calling ID after the transfer is released. If you're working with a legacy PBX integration (in-band DTMF or serial link) then Unity will not get this update.

-Eric

I see what you bean about the behavior change in 7.0(3) TSP. The fix is not totally there though. It displays the CLID of the original caller, but only in brackets after "Message from an unidentified caller.."

Is there any way to have the CLID display as though the original caller dialed the subscribers extension?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: