i'm going to route between the two vlans using the cat3550

Is this the right way to go about it?

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

4 Replies 4

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

Yes its good way. Create all vlans on 3550. 3550 will be also VTP server - others switches will be VTP clients. assign upliks ports form 3550 to switches in right vlan

HTH

m.sir

cminch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It is ok. I would favor the VTP Transparent mode on all switches. Yes it is some extra work, assigning the vlans to the other switches, but it is only a couple. If one of the devices goes down, it will not affect your network when you put a new one online. A lot of people forget to put the new devices in Client mode and leave them in Server mode thus stopping your network temporarily. This will not happen in Transparent mode.

Regards,

Corey

Hi,

what do you mean by "leave them in Server mode thus stopping your network temporarily"?

Adding a new switch to the network should not stop the network at all no matter if VTP client or server.

Regards,

Milan

If a replacment switch was partially configured, i.e. was set with the VTP domain name etc then depending on the current VTP revision number already within the VTP domain and the VTP revision number the new switch had you could have problems. Remember the VTP device (Client or Server) with the highest VTP Revision Number will be 'believed' and its VTP database will be replicated, possibly overwriting the 'correct' one, thus deleting vlans.

I would suggest transparent mode or 'off' if its available in the code (I think this may be limited to CatOS 7.x and above though?). There is a bit more work involved but its worth the extra (bit) of effort.

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: