Views
Helpful
Replies

password required, but not set

khurramcop
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just got problem on yesterday, when i try to set password on line con 0 and i set the password blank on line con 0. After that

i also give the command write mem.

Then i am unable to log on the Router 2600 series. The error message is return, which is the subject of this email. Kindly give

me the solution of this problem.

i am very grateful to you.

Thanks & Regards,

Khurram

5 Replies 5

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you've someohow set the password to be blank, and also saved the config, can you still get in via a telnet session? If you have any access into this router, do:

line con 0

no password

no login

and then you should be able to get back in via the console.

If you have no access, then you'll have to do password recovery on it using this:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2600.shtml

Thanks for reply.

No, when i try to connect via telnet, it give the message "password required, but none set".

Should i connect router via console without the trunoff the router, because our network connectivity is 24 hours and their is no posibilty to shut down the router.

Or should i connect router via console in running condition(without powering off the router)?

Regards,

Khuuram

Plug a terminal into the console while the router is running, that's fine. If you can get in, then do the following:

line vty 0 4

password

This'll set the telnet password to whatever you enter in, this should enable you to telnet in now.

Hi,

I am searching on the net about this problem so i found this statement. Is the last sentence of this paragraph is true.

All default passwords on a Cisco router are blank. It is not possible to telnet to a router without the "line vty" password established you will get

a "Password required, but none set" notice. Additionally enable mode cannot be reached over telnet if the "enable password" has not been configured again you will get a "% No password set" prompt. "At the console these limitations do not exist so blank passwords will allow access".

Waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Khurram

Hi,

Thanks for your help and support.

I had resolve that problem yesterday by connecting the router via console port and update the new password in the router. Now i am able to establish the telnet session.

Thanks again for your support.

Best Regards,

Khurram

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: