Views
Helpful
Replies

6059 Upgrade..

martin.richard
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I run a 6509 with a Sup1+MSFC2 in CatOS + IOS mode - I wish to upgrade the IOS image but the image is too big for the MSFC2's bootflash (even if the requirements ask for 16M, a 16M flash isnt big enough after formatting).

Is it possible to use the PCMCIA slot of the sup engine for the MSFC2's IOS image ? The boot image for the msfc2 could stay on the bootflash: there's enough space there..

If minimum versions of rommon and/or catos are needed for that to work, what are they ?

Thanks !

4 Replies 4

tsettle
Level 3
Level 3

You should be fine doing this. Check the release notes for any caveats in accessing the slot0: from MSFC. Running latest code should be fine.

From the sup engine, I have no problem accessing and copying to/from the slot0:, but I tried

boot system flash slot0:imagename.bin

in the msfc2 config, and I can't get past the bootloader when reloading the msfc.. Also a "dir slot0:" will no work, saying it can't access the device..

Could the rommon and sup engine versions too old to support this ?

I think the syntax should be boot system flash sup-slot0:imagename . you can't look at the slot0: from the msfc you have to be down at the supervisor level to look at what's in slot0:

I have a similar scenario and need help too:

A Cat6513 is running hybrid mode: CatOS and MSFCII with cisco IOS. I don't have enough on board flash memory to upgrade a newer version IOS.

According to the cisco document "How to upgrade software images on Catalyst switch layer 3 modules", I should be able to boot the MSFC by loading an image in the Sup slot0 PCMCIA card.

I copied the boot image and and IOS image into the PCMCIA card, then changed the boot var as

boot system flash sup-slot0:c6msfc2-pk2o3sv-mz.121-11b.E4.bin

The result was unsuccessful.

Can anyone suggest a work around?

Regards,

Janet Eng

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: