cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple Routing Question

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I've just connected to 1721's on Frame. The two routers see each other fine (ethernet interface to ethernet interface)via static routes with no routing protocol enabled. However, the ONLY ip address I can ping on each local network is the ethernet interface on the router. It seems that each router can't route from it's own serial to its own ethernet. What did I forget???

Thanks,

SAM

7 Replies 7

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

on the remote router you must put a static in to the local ethernet

rtra

ethernet 10.1.1.1/24

serial 172.16.2.1/30

rtrb

serial 172.16.2.2/30

static route on rtr b

ip route 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.2.1

you also have to do the same on router a to rtr b ethernet

Not applicable

Thanks Deilert but I already have those static routes in place, cuold there be anyting else?

Sam

Since you can ping the ethernets then it knows how to get to the network , What are the default gateways of the clients set to ?

Not applicable

I think you all may have hit the nail on the head. You see, I am switching from our current frame provider to a new frame provider and the users still have the original default gateway. Now I can't cut them over until I've deployed all of the new routers but I can test between one host on each site to confirm the configuration.

THANKS!!

When your ping fails, where are you pinging from and where are you pinging to. Are you trying to ping a host on the remote LAN from your local router ? If so, are your hosts configured with default routes pointing to the respective Ethernet interfaces on the local routers ?

Not applicable

That was it, I took one host on the remote network and changed the DG to the new router from the old one, did the same to mine locally and was able to ping through. Thanks to all!

Sam

Hello Sam,

not sure which OS your clients are running, but on most Windows clients you can add a second default gateway. So you can migrate easier...

Regards,

Georg