cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

911 Calls

p.holley
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we use 9 as the access code. How can I get users to dial either 911 or 9911 to place emergency calls.

Thanks

12 Replies 12

JASON NIELSEN
Level 1
Level 1

These would route via a centrex line(FXO Gateway).

You would have to build the Route Group and Route List before the Route Pattern is added.

Route Pattern

set partition

set Gateway/route List

Route this pattern

Provide Outside Dial Tone and Urgent Priority

Calling Party Presentation Default

Prefix Digits(Outgoing Calls)9-This adds the 9 in front of 911(User dials just 911)

Or

set partition

set Gateway/route List

Route this pattern

Check Provide Outside Dial Tone and Urgent Priority.

Calling Party Presentation Default

Discard Digits none(here the user dials 9911)

Hope this helps

CCampbell_2
Level 1
Level 1

Just add 911 as a route pattern. It will work. The @ wildcard is something like [2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX, [2-9]11, & 01 1 3[0-469]!. I think it includes other patterns as well, but as you can see it will not conflict as there is no @ match for a number starting with 11 (removing the 9 for the access code)

9911 should also just work as it will match your current 9.@ route pattern.

HTH,

Cliff

Keep in mind that the @ wildcard is a macro for the North American Numbering Plan. Not everyone can, or should, use the wildcard.

Does 911 exist outside of the NANP?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/us_dialplan.html

The following link might be more what you are asking. I read your post too FAST!

http://www.nena9-1-1.org/PR_Pubs/Devel_of_911.htm

My NANP specific response was based on the assumption that 911 does not exist outside of the NANP and the original poster must be posting from North America and could use the @ wildcard. My question was does 911 exist outside of North America, I'm not sure what this URL does to clear that up for me.

Not really... :^)

I was really responding to getting taken to task for assuming that the original poster was in North America. My point was if 911 doesn't exist outside of the USA then it was a reasonable assumption that he could use the @ wildcard (And IMHO, should desire to do so, but that's a different note)

The second URL tells me that NANP was designed for use in the USA, but it doesn't tell me that it's NOT in use outside of the USA. Which if it were, would make my help less useful, but I don't think it is, and therefore robrhodes should respond to my initial question with a simple "touche". Unless it is in use outside of the US, which I'd want to know about as well since it would mean I ASSumed was to much. ;^)

Cliff

It is certainly reasonable to assume that someone using 911 and 9.911 would be in North America. Score 1 for you. Best practices dictate using the most explicit match, particularly for emergency services.

http://www.911dispatch.com/web_graphic/graphic1.html

That's the URL I was looking for, thanks!

robrhodes
Level 3
Level 3

Create two route pattern that point to the local gateway/route list.

911 > no digit strip

9.911 > strip pre-dot

In a multi-site environment you should create a partition for each site's local 911, place the route pattern in that partition and make sure users' DNs in each site have their 911 partition in their calling search space. You need to make sure you route to the appropriate PSAP.

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

Keep in Mind many of us have had problems using 911 vs. 9.911. Many users Hit 9, to get an outside line, then 1 for long distance and forget they hit a 1 or double hit the 1 and you get a 911 call. Since the phone rings after 911, the user thinks something is wrong and usually hangs up not realizing they just called 911!!! Then in about 15 minutes you will have a nice police officer greeting you...

Good advice. Changing our outside line access number to an 8 has cut down on our police fines. Your warning should certainly be listed somewhere as a best practice if it isn't already. Now if only we could get our building alarm to only go off when someone was really breaking in...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: