Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Failover config for Extension Mobility

Unanswered Question
Oct 7th, 2003
User Badges:

Hi,

I have CCM3.3(3) loaded on publisher & subscriber.Extension mobility,Tomcat service is running on both servers.In IP phone services URL, I have givem publishers ip address.In Cisco Extension Mobility Logout,I have configured "True" for Login Service Enabled field in both the servers.

When I shutdown Publisher,EM is not working on all the phones.When I shutdown Subscriber,EM is not working on few phones.But EM is working on all phones when both servers are up.

Should I configure something additional to build redundancy .I want to configure subscriber as primary & Publisher as secondary for EM.

I am using 7940 IP phones.

Regds

Jagadish

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

I use Extension Mobilty often and this is what I would recommend testing.

Make sure that each CCM has the following services activated:

- Cisco Extension Mobility Logout

- Cisco Extended Functions

Then in the Extension Mobility URL IP Service use a DNS name that round robined IP addresses.

This should work but I haven't tested it yet.

Hopefully it is a start to something good.

Mike

dugrant Wed, 10/08/2003 - 20:10
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

This will work fine for load balancing, but for failover, your single point of failure is the publisher. When a user logs in via EM, the database needs to be updated. If the pub is down, this will fail.

So it really only makes sense to run EM on the Pub.

jagadishs Wed, 10/08/2003 - 21:34
User Badges:

Hi,

Thanks for replying.Does this mean that we cannot build redundancy for extension mobility ie if my pub is down,users cannot login using EM through subscriber though EM service is running on both.

Regds

Jagadish

dugrant Thu, 10/09/2003 - 08:50
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Thats exactly right.

jagadishs Wed, 10/08/2003 - 21:25
User Badges:

Hi Mike,

How exactly should I configure DNS name that round robin.As of now I have given publisher ip add.

Regds

Jagadish

joao.medeiros Thu, 10/09/2003 - 12:23
User Badges:

Text below from Cisco Engineer Marcos Massakawa, about TAC case of this problem with extension mobility.

The problem, as you noted, is that the "Login" and "Logout" service URLs can really only point to

one IP address. In your case, you'd probably have these set up to point to whichever server you

wanted to be the primary one for Extension Mobility. However, if that server failed, the "Login"

and "Logout" services will no longer be useable, since they point to an IP that is no longer

reachable. If you want to enable users to be able to login and logout from the backup server, you'd

have to install EM on the other server, and create a slightly different service name that would show

up on the users' phones as a valid service, such as "Login2"/"Logout2", or "Login Backup"/"Logout

Backup", etc. The service URL for these services would point to the IP of the backup server. It

seems kind of clumsy, but it's a limitation of only being able to put one IP in the service URL.

Best Regards

Joao Medeiros

spectra-ts.nl Tue, 02/09/2010 - 09:42
User Badges:

Alternative would be to use a 3rd party application, e.g. ALM from Spectra (find in Google). It detects if the EM service on the publisher is down at run-time and will failover to the subscriber (or any of the backup callmanagers configured in the profile).

Actions

This Discussion