TTY Wav file to Text

Unanswered Question
Oct 11th, 2003
User Badges:

Currently I have a UM 4.0.2 in a test environment. I have also installed and ran TTY Angel and it works like a champ!

My queston is: Is there a piece of software that I can use to convert the WAV file in the persons email into text for them to read?

The only thing I can find is TrueTTY which is for amateur radio. If I can get this to work it would be a HUGE selling point for me to expand the project.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
lindborg Wed, 10/15/2003 - 11:12
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I'm not sure how you plan to use such a tool on the fly - do you want to convert messages from TTY WAV files in user's inboxes into text that they can read via an email browser or the like? That's going to be pretty "non trivial" as they say. Are you planning to have a service "crawl" such messages in the background or what?

Just curious what you have in mind - I have run into libraries for tone recognition that include TTY stuff that can be used to generate simple command line tools that would slurp in a WAV file and kick out text - I don't know if any of them are public domain, however. I can poke around internally and see if there's something around. However I'm not real clear on how you plan to use it.

piercemo Thu, 10/16/2003 - 17:10
User Badges:

What I am really looking for is a way for TTY users to be able to use UM. As it stands now they would get an email with a WAV file attached but that would do them no good except for letting them know they have voicemail.

I don't need anything fancy. I would like to find something that will "listen" to the TTY WAV file and spit out text. This would give TTY users the ability to use UM and get the full benefits just like anyone else would. It would also be a great selling point because from what I understand most TTY users don't have the true ability to setup and have a true voicemail box let alone UM.

Thanks for your help. By the way TTY Angel ROCKS...

lindborg Thu, 10/16/2003 - 18:09
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Ideally I'd like to see us store all messages for TTY users as raw text and simply convert it on the fly to TTY tones as necessary - this would be ideal for a number of reasons not the least of which is it'd save a bunch of space in the mailstore and it'd allow TTY users the ability to get true unified messaging in all scenarios including getting email in text form converted into TTY if they needed it on the road for instance - however the messaging guys banged heads with this for a bit and it's apparently more work than it sounded. I'd still like to see this pursued in the future.

There is a command line tool that takes a WAV file and spits out text but it's not a very pretty tool to use from the desktop (i.e. for an end user to "translate" a TTY WAV file into text to read). I'm also not sure it's a publishable tool - I have a question into the engineer that wrote the tone recognition routine at it's core (it's also used for, say, detecting CNG tone in an audio stream and the like). If they say it's OK to post I'll drop it out as a seperate EXE you can download off the TTY Angel page.

lindborg Mon, 10/20/2003 - 07:16
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

OK - they let me use a debug tool that does the tone recognition in a WAV stream but the output was a bit on the ugly side - so I wrapped it up in a little GUI application and while I was in there went ahead and put some fancy clipboard handling stuff in there as well - you'll find the new 'TTY WAV Reader' application on it's home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_TTYWAVReader.htm

it'll let you point to a specific WAV file on the file system or pull in a wav file stored on the clipboard. As such users with VMO installed can simply select the message, select to copy it to the clipboard and then parse it using TTY WAV Reader in one step - the text found in the WAV file will be displayed in the box on the application.

This hasn't gone through QA hands but I tested it out some this weekend and it seems to work with WAV files created by several different TDD devices as well, of course, as TTY Angel. Let me know if it works for you...

piercemo Mon, 10/20/2003 - 12:00
User Badges:

Thanks for all of your help on this. It works great on files that were created from TTY Angel but when I Sent a TTY message via an IP phone I get this error message: "That WAV file did not contain any Boudot TTY tones" Any idea what happened? I listened to it and the tones were there.

lindborg Mon, 10/20/2003 - 12:43
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

send me a copy of a WAV file that did not pick up the tones and I'll take a look.

Actions

This Discussion