cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Older 4210 Sensor running version 4.0

spodonnell
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anything special about upgrading a older 4210 sensor to version 4.0?

I boot off the CD and see some reference to Intel drivers, and then the system shuts down. I noticed that there is a NIC in the slot that is an SMC brand.

Makes me think that I should need a different kernel to boot from.

1 Reply 1

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think you have an IDS-4210 sensor.

The IDS-4210 sensor is a 1 Rack Unit sensor with a blue front.

Both NICs of the sensor are built into the main motherboard.

Side Note: the IDS-4210 requires a memmory upgrade to support the newer 4.1 code. The memmory uprade is free for customers with SmartNet contracts.

It sounds like you are referring to the older IDS-4220 or IDS-4230 sensors or the even older NRS-xx sensors.

All of these sensors were 4 Rack Unit sensors with a grey front that required a key to access the front panel. One interface was on the main motherboard and one interface in a PCI slot.

The older NRS-xx sensors had PII400 cpus with less memmory and are not supported with version 4.0.

NOTE: Version 3.1 signature updates are continuing to the first part of next year for these sensors.

If you are running the old NRS-xx sensor please contact your Cisco Representative about upgrading to a newer sensor for when the 3.1 signature updates stop.

The IDS-4220 and IDS-4230 sensors have PIII600 cpus with more memmory and do support version 4.0.

NOTE: The IDS-4220 like the IDS-4210 requires a memmory upgrade to support version 4.1. The memmory upgrade is free for customers with SmartNet contract.

From the description of your problem I would have to guess that you have an older NRS-xx sensor that does not support version 4.x.

Reboot the sensor and see what CPU is reported on the screen just before bootup of the operating system.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: