Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

error msg on cat 5000

Unanswered Question

Hi,

I have 2*Cat 5000 configured to run HSRP for a specified VLAN. Recently I have been receiving the error message on my Cat 5000:

“SYS-4-P2_WARN: 4/Invalid traffic from multicast source address 7b:6e:91:10:00:00 on port 4/59.”

I understand that this is generated when the switch receives packets with a multicast MAC address as the source address. I also understand that 4/59 is virtual port associated with my HSRP configuration.

My problem right now to locating the server that is generating this error message. Could anyone advise how do I go about finding out which server is responsible? Can I conclude the server is attached to module 4 the virtual port is 4/59? (Module 4 is tied to the VLAN configured for HSRP)

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kmarrero Mon, 10/27/2003 - 11:34
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

The easiest way would be to take the MAC address that the error message returned and match it up to the server that is sending the traffic. You could probably put a sniffer on the segment to see what device is sending the traffic.

robho Mon, 11/10/2003 - 18:53
User Badges:

You probably have a 5410 blade installed in slot 4. Port 4/58, 4/59, and 4/60 are the internal gig ports between the backplane and the 5410 blade. If that is the case, the traffic is rec'd from one of the 9 ports on that module. So, I suggest to span those ports and find the culprit. If allowable, suggest to unplug one of those ports at time until the messages disappear. See link below for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/176.html#subtopic1m

Actions

This Discussion