cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0(2) Not Putting Subject Lines in E-Mails left in Exchange 2000

matt.karsten
Level 1
Level 1

Our Equipment: Unity 4.0(2) integrated with Exchange Enterprise 2000.

The problem we are having is Unity doesn't place a subject line in E-Mails (no "Message from XXXX").

This seems to only happen when an internal user in their voice mail and chooses the option "Send a Message press X". The recipient of the message then gets an email with no subject.

The reason this problem was discovered is a lot of users have rules set up for when they receive a message from a particular person in the company it gets placed into a sub folder of the inbox (therefore Unity no longer identifies it as a valid voice mail and the user can not listen to the voicemail from the phone). We tried to set up a rule (all server side rules) in Outlook (2000 and 2002) for these users that when the subject line had “Message from” to stop processing more rules. When these messages with no subject were coming into their mailbox it was moving them to other folders and the user could not listen to them by phone.

The only way we have found to correct the problem is to have it mark all voice mails as important and to set up another rule to stop processing all other rules if it is flagged as important.

We are looking for a way to un-mark all voice mails as important and to have the user be able to listen to their voicemails from their computer and phone as necessary (the users do not want a second inbox set up just for voicemails). Ideally we would like to find out why those voicemails do not have subject lines.

Thanks for any help.

Matt Karsten

Oasis Corporation

mkarsten@oasiswatercoolers.com

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I just bumped the bug up a severity level - hopefully they'll pick it up in the next round of fixes.

my suggestion would be to install VMO on those client's and use that as the rule - I tried this on my Outlook 2000 and XP systems and it works fine. If folks are getting voice mail from the desktop in the first place I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to have the VMO form installed to begin with.

outside of that the built in Outlook rules are pretty limited - you'd have to go with a 3rd party rule extension or a VB script that would trigger on a specific file extension name or the like.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure on the subject line - I can dig around in DDTS and see if anything sounds familiar.

However you should be able to trigger rules based on the message class (IPM.Note.voice.unity) or, from the desktop side, by form association (i.e. messages associated with the VMO form are not moved).

Thanks for the response.

I can not find anywhere to do rules on Message Class and we do not have the form type VMO on our system.

If there is anywhere that would have information on the subject line not being in the messages I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I think the subject line issue is this bug in DDTS:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdz14902

The message class _may_ only be available in rules where you're using the client remotely and deciding which messages to copy down and which to leave on the server - I'll dig around and see if there's some under-the-covers way to do this.

That seems to describe the exact problem we are having. Kind of disappointing that there is no fix.

If you happen to find a better workaround than the one we are using I would definitly appreciate it, if not no big deal. This has been a great help so far.

I just bumped the bug up a severity level - hopefully they'll pick it up in the next round of fixes.

my suggestion would be to install VMO on those client's and use that as the rule - I tried this on my Outlook 2000 and XP systems and it works fine. If folks are getting voice mail from the desktop in the first place I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to have the VMO form installed to begin with.

outside of that the built in Outlook rules are pretty limited - you'd have to go with a 3rd party rule extension or a VB script that would trigger on a specific file extension name or the like.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: