Replies

sup engine redundancy

rpalacio
Level 1
Level 1

scenario;

6500 series having a single sup2/msfc2 with pure IOS

question;

I've understood that if we hot insert another sup2/msfc2 with pure IOS even with different version, the IOS in the active sup engine, along with the configuration will be automatically downloaded to the new (standby) supervisor engine.

My quetion now is, what will happen if the hot inserted sup engine is having a hybrid OS.

7 Replies 7

The IOS image will not get synchronised with Native IOS, the config will unless you manually disabled RPR(+). You will need to manually copy the IOS image onto the new Supervisor2/MSFC2 and set the boot parameters - its quite easy.

With CatOS (Hybrid) the Code is synchronised between the 2 Supervisors (unless High-Availability Redundancy and Versioning are enabled). The second supervisor must be able to boot initially though as the version is checked once the supervisor is booted.

Andy

why iam saying that is because of the following paragraph ive read from chapter 22 (configuring redundancy) and i quote;

"If you hot insert a second supervisor engine, the second module communicates with the active supervisor

engine after completing its initial module-level diagnostics. Because the active supervisor engine is

already switching traffic on the backplane, no switching-bus diagnostics are run for the second

supervisor engine because running diagnostics can disrupt normal traffic. The second supervisor engine

immediately enters standby mode. The active supervisor engine downloads the software image and

configuration to the standby supervisor engine, if necessary."

thx

preddyi
Level 3
Level 3

For redundancy betwen the sup engines both must be running either CAT OS or NATIV IOS.

Also they must be same version.

Otherewise Which ever boots first will becom active, and second sup will go in reset/standby mode.

regarding syncronisation

Only boot variables, configuration gets replicated.

Pls refer to

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/redund.htm

i know that they should be the same..both hardware and software...what iam asking is what if you hot insert a second sup engine having a CAT OS.

Note that the active is already running pure IOS.

Nothing will happen,

Primary will continue to be active.

Second Sup will boot and go in standby mode, both sup will not sync.

Gibic ports on second Sup will not be active.(You can not use)

If primary fails, then switch will get reboot, then second will boot from CAT OS and become active.

ive replied and quoted something from cisco documentation to andy (above conversation)..if you can please go thru it i will appreciate it a lot..

thx.

As I said before, with Hybrid code (CatOS running on the Supervisor and IOS running on the MSFC) CatOS code will be synchronised if a new supervisor is inserted and sucessfully boots a version of CatOS. The logic works by the Active Supervisor checking what is running on the standby supervisor when it comes onlinel; if the versions are different then the Active Supervisor will initiate a copy of its running code to the Standby Supervisor, then set the Standbys boot variables and then finally reload it. The MSFCs will NOT synchronise their code you MUST do this manually.

With Native IOS (single IOS image controlling both the Supervisor and the MSFC) the IOS image is NOT automatically synchronised; the configuration is synchronised, so, the 'boot system flash:xxxxxxx' environmental variable will be synchronised but the code MUST BE MANUALLY COPIED. You can do this from the Active Supervisor as you have access to the flash of the Standby supervisor once it has booted.

I hope this makes more sense.

There are some notes here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/ol_2310.htm#77819

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f4ca.html

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: