cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Xmit Errors on 4006 10/100 48 port blade

alonzo-garza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I have a 4006, SUPII with about 4 48 port blades and almost all of the ports that show connected have Xmit-ERR's! Could this be an autonegotiation issue or CDP? Most of them have autonegotiated @ 100Mbps full duplex but I was wondering if anyone out there has seen this before? Any ideas on troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, ~zo

Here is a snap shot of a "show port" on my 4006....

Port Align-Err FCS-Err Xmit-Err Rcv-Err UnderSize

----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------

3/13 - 0 29180235 0 0

4 Replies 4

r.crist
Level 1
Level 1

Kinda tough to tell which errors fall under which heading from the pasted info.. This counter should only increment when the xmit buffer is full and the port can't forward traffic out at the desired rate. Are the collision counters incrementing as well? Could be a duplex mismatch.. Set one or two hosts and associated switch ports to 100/full and then clear counters. See if the xmit-err counters for those continue to increment.

Rich

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have seen this on our 4006's running 6.2.3 . I would check to make sure that you don't have a contaminated machine somewhere . We saw this alot when the Welchia virus was running around . Do they come right back when clearing the counters ? Don't think it would be an autonegotiation issue if you are seeing them across all ports . Maybe you should try clearing the errors and see if they come back , these could have been from some previous problem on the network . Also you could clear them and see if there is one particular machine that is transmitting a lot more traffic than others .

Yes, thank you for your suggestions. Actually, I have cleared the counters after making some changes ( I hard coded 2 workstations to full / 100 as well as on the switch port they connect to) I know this a recommended practice for switch to servers but in this case I want to see if hard coding the workstations to the switch will be an improvement? Now, so far this morning one user says that things are faster but I find that irrelavent because of 2 reasons! 1.) 1/2 the department is off today so network traffic is NOT @ normal operation baselines right now. and 2.) Yesterday when I posted this I only saw Xmit-Errors at an alarming rate. Now that I have hard coded this workstation, so far this morning I'm seeing FCS-Errs, XMIT-ERR's, RCV-ERR, UNDERSIZE frames and Runts!!! This tells me that hardcoding the workstation didn't really fix things ( on the physical layer @ least ) but the user tells me "Things are much faster now". That's why I find it hard to believe??? Any ideas anyone???

Port Align-Err FCS-Err Xmit-Err Rcv-Err UnderSize

----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------

3/23 - 14 145 6273 6211

Port Single-Col Multi-Coll Late-Coll Excess-Col Carri-Sen Runts Giants

----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------- ---------

3/23 0 0 0 0 0 48 0

Thanks again ~zo

It still looks like you have duplex mismatches , you should not be getting any kind of collisions in a fuAlso might want to check to see if the nic drivers are up to date . This right out of one Cisco's docs.

When operating at full-duplex, FCS, Cyclic Redundancy Checks (CRC), alignment errors, and runt counters should be minimal. If the link is operating at full-duplex, the collision counter is not active. If the FCS, CRC, alignment, or runt counters are incrementing, check for a duplex mismatch. Duplex mismatch is a situation where the switch is operating at full-duplex and the connected device is operating at half-duplex, or vice versa. The results of a duplex mismatch will be extremely slow performance, intermittent connectivity, and loss of connection. Other possible causes of data link errors at full-duplex are bad cables, faulty switch ports, or NIC software/hardware issues.