Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Extending the Schema with 2003 after having already done so with 2000

Unanswered Question
Nov 24th, 2003
User Badges:

We are currently in the middle of the Cisco Unity and IP phone deployment utilizing Call Manager 3.3(3)sr2 with MLA 1.2(sr1) and Unity Build 4.0(2). Our AD schema will be extended a few times in the next couple months. First there will be the upgrade to WINDOWS 2003. Following that will be the upgrade to Exchange 2003 and deployment of SMS 2003. Are there any precautions we should take or problems we should be aware of? We were told by a Microsoft guy that after having already extended the schema with Exchange 2000, there might be problems with extending it with 2003.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kechambe Mon, 11/24/2003 - 13:17
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

I can't speak to problems that Microsoft has with their own products but I can ensure you that the extension made by Unity (ADScehmaSetup.exe) will not impact Exchange. Our schema extensions are all prefixed with ciscoEcsbu and registered with Microsoft. You can view the registration by typing in Cisco-ECSBU at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/certification/ADAcctInfo.asp

The one exception to this is the msExchRecordedName attribute which Cisco was given written permission from Microsoft to modify. The msExchRecordedName is currently not used my Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003.

I would ask the Microsoft engineer to site a specific kb article, issue or factual evidence that would lead him to believe a problem exists rather than saying you might have a problem.

Hope this helps...

Keith

jchorlton Mon, 11/24/2003 - 15:07
User Badges:

Just to add, I am running all of the above - Windows 2003, SMS 2003, Callmanager (actually only 3.3.2), MLA and Unity. It all works well together with Active Directory.

Only one point on Unity. You need to be at 4.0(3) not 4.0(2) for Exchange 2003, otherwise you should be fine.

michael.hammer Fri, 12/12/2003 - 11:21
User Badges:

To clarify your statement, you are saying that if we are running Unity 4.0(2), have already extended the schema with the LDIF files that cames with 4.0(2) running against W2K and E2K that should not have to re-extend the schema with 4.0(3) LDIF files after extending the schema with E2K3.

An additional point is that we plan to extend schema with E2K3 and install E2K3 servers in our home site (AG) but will not be upgrading to E2K3 in the site (AG) that current houses Unity until 2Q2004. Will the Unity 4.0(2) in that site have issues until we visit that site with E2K3 rollout?

kechambe Fri, 12/12/2003 - 11:49
User Badges:

You can run the Microsoft Exchange 2003 schema after the Unity 4.0(2) schema without issue. Your site with Unity 4.0(2) will not be affected by the Exchange 2003 rollout.

Thanks,

Keith

w-lam Mon, 12/15/2003 - 01:08
User Badges:

Hi Keith,

One of our customer insist for some kind of cert. (like the one from Veritest) to show the compatibility between AD 2000/2003 and Unity 4.03 before the UM order. Just want to know if there is any doc. from Microsoft for that?

Thanks

kechambe Mon, 12/15/2003 - 09:10
User Badges:

No there isn't anything like that. Generally Cisco doesn’t fund third party testing. We do our own QA testing and then if a customer wants independent testing they can engage a third party.

Actions

This Discussion