Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a VPN Client for Windows 2003

jins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Is there a VPN Client software for Windows 2003 OS ? I tried with the 3.6.4(A), but got an intialization error while trying to start the program. Is there a compatable version?

Thanks

Jins

5 Replies 5

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Windows Server 2003 mistakenly complains about the Zone Labs vsdata file included in our product and warns users to upgrade to a newer Zone Labs product rev, even though the full Zone Labs product is not installed.

We have addressed this in the 4.0.3 release of the VPN Client by including a new vsdata component from Zone Labs, so the 4.0(3) client should work for you. The 3.x version of the client will never be made compatible with 2003, so you'll need to upgrade.

Thank you very much. Will check and let you know.

Jins

jins - were you able to get the V4.0.3 VPN Client to work with your Windows 2003 Server OS? I've been trying the same thing, and have run into a problem with the VPN Client not able to add routes to the PC's routing table when the VPN tunnel comes up. I was interested to see if yours is working. Thanks.

Yes Bruce,

I was able to install that on a Windows 2003 Server - Standard machine. But none of the packets seems to be taking the secured path. It shows the secured networks in the statistics window.

The Installation file I used was "vpnclient-win-msi-4.0.Rel-k9.exe."

I'll play around and find what's the issue.

Jins

jins - on the Cisco VPN Client turn the logging settings all to high, open the log window, and start the VPN Client. This is where I noticed that the VPN Client was not able to add routes correctly. It gave an error indicating that is was unable to add routes.

As a workaround, I put together a little batch job that takes the routes from my VPN concentrator that I normally give the PC when the tunnel comes up, and run that on the PC manually once the tunnel is up. This seems to resolve the problem. The problem with this is the virtual adapter's IP address changes, so you need to be able to change that in the batch job to reflect the changing IP address of the virtual adapter in the route table, since it changes from connect to connect.

Thanks,

Bruce

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: