Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Next Generation Centrino to use D-Link Chipset

Unanswered Question
Nov 26th, 2003
User Badges:

I don't know about everyone else, but our wireless network has terriable problems with D-Link cards losing link to the AP about 10ft away. It is by far the worst performer out there from what I've seen, but according to this article, http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/11/18&pages=A6&seq=29

the next generation centrino will be based on D-Link's chipset. This is very bad news in my opinion, as I have been thouroughly unimpressed with their wireless products. Can anyone else confirm any of this?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gilmo Thu, 12/18/2003 - 08:43
User Badges:

Hello,

I'm not here to defend D-Link but they don't make chipset, as far as I know some of their products use Intersil chipset and some use Atheros. So, which D-link card have you tested? I would not say that D-Link is bad card but make sure you always have the most recent firmware version.

Now about Centrino, first Centrino is not just WLAN chipset, it has Video/i/o controller and Wireless, the wireless portion that comes with Centrino uses Philips Front-End and TI MAC/Baseband and Intel is going to change this for sure.

Intel, is designing their own 802.11 chipset, they just bought Mobilian (chipset maker that has bluetooth) so they will not use anybody's chipset but their own.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode