cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Next Generation Centrino to use D-Link Chipset

yantisj
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know about everyone else, but our wireless network has terriable problems with D-Link cards losing link to the AP about 10ft away. It is by far the worst performer out there from what I've seen, but according to this article, http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/11/18&pages=A6&seq=29

the next generation centrino will be based on D-Link's chipset. This is very bad news in my opinion, as I have been thouroughly unimpressed with their wireless products. Can anyone else confirm any of this?

1 Reply 1

gilmo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not here to defend D-Link but they don't make chipset, as far as I know some of their products use Intersil chipset and some use Atheros. So, which D-link card have you tested? I would not say that D-Link is bad card but make sure you always have the most recent firmware version.

Now about Centrino, first Centrino is not just WLAN chipset, it has Video/i/o controller and Wireless, the wireless portion that comes with Centrino uses Philips Front-End and TI MAC/Baseband and Intel is going to change this for sure.

Intel, is designing their own 802.11 chipset, they just bought Mobilian (chipset maker that has bluetooth) so they will not use anybody's chipset but their own.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: