Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Maximum number of VIP2-50's in 7513

Unanswered Question
Dec 3rd, 2003
User Badges:

Hi

We have a 7513 12.0(7)T 32 MB RAM and I'm trying to install a new VIP2-50 (with an E3 PA).

I've successfully installed VIP's in this router over the years with no previous problems. Performing an OIR (slot 9) causes slots 0-4 to 'go offline', the inferfaces are up but don't pass any traffic.

I also tried powering off the router, adding the VIP then powering on the router, this causes it to go into a crash loop. The console reports a software forced reload.

The router has

Slot 0: 8 port serial, 8 port serial

Slot 1: 8 port serial, E3

Slot 2: 8 port serial, E1 (PRI)

Slot 3: 8 port serial, E1 (PRI)

Slot 4: E3 , E3

Slot 5: Fast Eth , Fast Eth

Slot 6: RSP4

Slot 7: RSP4

Slot 8: E1 (PRI) , E3

Slot 9: Spare

Slot 10:Spare

Slot 11:Spare

Slot 12:Spare

The new VIP works fine in a second 7513 we have although it has fewer VIP's installed so I know the new card is ok.

Really what I'd like to know is there a limit on the number of VIP's that can be installed in the 7513, well there must be a limit of some sort but I can't find anything about it on CCO.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
vkapoor5 Tue, 12/09/2003 - 12:58
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

I am just wondering if the number of VIPs than can be installed is in anyway related to the backplane speed which poses the limit.

SteveGodfrey Tue, 12/09/2003 - 13:21
User Badges:

The problem is now fixed, even though the minimum required memory is 64 Meg regardless of how many cards you have the problem was infact casused by lack of memory!

I upgraded to 128 meg and the card was then sucessfully installed.

Actions

This Discussion