Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

IP Telephony using Cat 1900 Switches

Unanswered Question
Dec 8th, 2003
User Badges:

Management does not want to invest in purchasing new switches when rolling out IP telephony to 200 users in our Corporate office. Unfortunately, we have time remaining on a lease of Cat1900 switches (don't ask :) that all users use.

From what I understand, Cat1900 switches (10Mbps) do not support 802.1q or 802.1p.

Can anyone tell me if this would even work?

I don't believe it would because of lack of proper vlan for voice as well as lack of priority for voice traffic. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise. Maybe someone has rolled out IP telephony on Cat1900's.

Thanks for your input.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mjordy Tue, 12/09/2003 - 09:15
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

If you have to use 1900s, I would recommend using dedicated 1900s for all phones (ie don't plug PCs into switches with PC's) with a single Vlan and don't hang PCs off the phones. This way the phone traffic won't have to compete with data traffic. The phone-only 1900s would then need to be connected to a switch that supports QOS (Cat 4k, Cat 6K) and multiple switch port queues. Obviously you won't get in-line power for your phones and you'll need a data and a phone port at each users office/cube/workstation.

Thanks,

Jordy

Actions

This Discussion