cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problems configuring Vlans on a switch

banalas_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have to swicthes one WS-C2924-XL and 3524 on 2924 i dont see the command vlan database , do i need to upgrade the software to configure the ports to different vlan

on 3524 i configured a new vlan and gave a ip address to new vlan and assigined few ports to the new vlan but when i see config it says new vlan in shutdown state , how bring that vlan Up

Thanks

Sridhar

5 Replies 5

prafuljaded
Level 3
Level 3

On a 2924, you need to add the following in config mode.Suppose u need port fa0/1 in vlan 1.

interface VLAN1

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

no shut

int fast0/1

no shut

switchport access vlan 1

"Show vlan" will tell u the ports assigned to a particular vlan.

On the 3524, u should have "no shut" command in vlan configuration mode as above.

ON 2924 I dont see command vlan database to configure vlan 300

on 3524 i did vlan database configured new vlan 300

and assigned IP address , but still i see vlan 300 shutdown

even though i did no shut on vlan interface on 3524

There is no vlan database in 2924. U need to go to global config mode as in routers and type in the commands.

Since 3524 is an L2 switch, it can have only one virtual interface (vlan)as up. If u r having more than one vlan on your switch(other than vlan 300), then u cant bring it up. It always is in shut mode.

Do a shutdown on Vlan 1 (default vlan) and then try a no shut on the new configured vlan . If that doesn't work go into vlan database , type vlan 300 state active . This should bring it up . Then put one of your ports into vlan 300 , switchport access vlan 300 . Show vlan and you should see this port in vlan 300 .

scott-baker
Level 1
Level 1

What version of software are you running? Is the switch one of the 4Mb or 8Mb versions?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: