cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless conections

grcollison
Level 1
Level 1

My school is moving administrative offices to a location about a quarter mile down the street. I want to be able to utilize my Internet connections at the old building and thought that I might be able to use wireless to get the Internet from the old building to the new building. If this is possible, can anyone help me with what I need (equipment) to do this and the best and most cost effective way to do it?

2 Replies 2

amitubale
Level 1
Level 1

Best way: 2 BR350s 2 parabolic antennas on both ends would serve the purpose. 2 Wireless bridges (BR-350)are a must, but you can experiment with other cheaper antenna. This solution is if the whole office needs a connectivity with better throughput.

Cost efective way: If there are no obstructions between both the sites(i.e. clear line of site), the cost efective solution would be to use a Access point( Ap350, 1100 or 1200) with an antenna plased outsite the old building. For a single user, install a Wireless PCI client card in the decktop. Alternativly, for multiple users, install a 2nd ethernet card in the desktop and install Internet sharing. Site survey would be nessary for palcing the wireless client desktop at a sutiable location.

You could probably do a 1/4 mile with Yagis or maybe even Omnis if it is a pretty clear path.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card