Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

ICS7750 unified messaging questions

Unanswered Question
Jan 14th, 2004
User Badges:

We have Unity 3.1(5) running on an ICS7750 blade. It is currently set up as voicemail only. We are looking to migrate part of our users to Unified messaging. Is a mixed environment like this supported on the ICS chassis?

We are looking to replace the blade by building our lab blade up to take it's place and use DiRT to restore user info. For unified messaging Unity needs to be added to the domain and exchange site that we have for email, the problem is the user names on Unity overlap with user names on our active directory. Can we change the user names on Unity so they don't cause a problem?

Thanks.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kechambe Wed, 01/14/2004 - 12:55
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Unified Message is supported on the ICS. From a licensing standpoint you can't mix and match -- you need to either pay for UM or VM. From technical standpoint mixing and matching is fine.

If you want to go to UM that is fine but you will need to go through your sales channels to purchase a license upgrade first.

Thanks,

Keith

pmccloud Wed, 01/14/2004 - 13:02
User Badges:

I know that I need to purchase licensing for UM, but I am still unclear if I can run both from one Unity server.

lindborg Wed, 01/14/2004 - 14:26
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

No, you can't. If you get the more expensive UM licenses for everyone and you choose not to use UM features for all users, that's fine - some folks go that route. Some folks buy two boxes - one with VM and one with UM licenses. But you absolutely cannot mix UM and VM licenses on a single Unity server.

pmccloud Thu, 01/15/2004 - 08:30
User Badges:

Ok, that makes sense.

Can I run Unity on the ICS chassis as VM with the exchange store off box to make it easier to migrate to UM later? Also can Unity deal with changing the Active Directory user names to match our existing Windows user/email names? I am trying to prepare our Unity system to allow us to move to UM and the user name convention in Unity doesn't match our existing AD naming convention.

Thanks.

lindborg Thu, 01/15/2004 - 08:53
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Yes, you can do the Exchange off box thing with the ICS.

You can change the alias (mail nickname) in AD and Unity will pull the change into it's database - you can't change the alias in the Unity SA, though - we don't allow that since it could cause problems for IT folks in UM installs that we wanted to avoid.

You can also go the route of using the Migrate Subscriber Data tool after using DiRT to move your users/messages into a UM environment - this allows you to put the Unity related data from your subscriber accounts onto the AD accounts where they should be. You can check it out on its home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MigrateSubscriberData.htm

But changing the alias/nickname in AD on your VM deployment to match will be cleaner - DiRT will link up to your UM AD accounts when you do the port on the fly and you're done.

Actions

This Discussion