Bulk Edit removed all alt extensions when I tried to add some

Answered Question
Jan 23rd, 2004
User Badges:

Unity 4.0, Exchange2000. I used the Bulk Edit utility to add some Alternate Extensions to about 14 users. After it was done, I went in to look at them, and there were no Alternate Extensions listed. Previous Alternate Extensions that I had in there were gone as well. Is this a known bug with the tool. I did make sure that the "remove all alternate extensions for selected subscribers" checkbox was unchecked.

Correct Answer by lindborg about 13 years 6 months ago

Nancy just made an observation that may be what you're seeing here - this same type of thing (though not exactly as you describe it) was reported as a problem in CUBI with alternate extensions. There were two different looking bugs filed for this that turned out to have the same root cause:


http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCec49342&Submit=Search


http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCed12363&Submit=Search


Short story is the synchronization service that writes updated information from SQL to AD was choking and not getting alternate extensions properly - which had the effect of wiping them out in some cases. This could be what you're seeing - I'm testing on 4.0(2) and my 4.0(3.81) boxes (4.0(4) pre release) and don't see this issue - this bug was specific to 4.0(3) release.


This is fixed in 4.0(4) (not released yet) - I'm checking to see if it was bundled into an ES or not.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Loading.
lindborg Fri, 01/23/2004 - 12:40
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

No, not a known bug - just tried it on my 4.0(3) box as you describe and it doesn't do that.


Which 4.0 build and what version of BulkEdit are you using? I'll get that combo and do a couple tests to make sure there's not some strange stored proc combo or something biting me here.

jsailers Fri, 01/23/2004 - 13:00
User Badges:

Unity 4.0(3), Bulk Edit 4.0.0.38.


Here's a little more info. It only happened to some of the subscribers. Namely, the ones that already had Alternate Extensions assigned. The ones that didn't already have any worked fine.

lindborg Fri, 01/23/2004 - 13:32
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
Correct Answer
lindborg Fri, 01/23/2004 - 15:48
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Nancy just made an observation that may be what you're seeing here - this same type of thing (though not exactly as you describe it) was reported as a problem in CUBI with alternate extensions. There were two different looking bugs filed for this that turned out to have the same root cause:


http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCec49342&Submit=Search


http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCed12363&Submit=Search


Short story is the synchronization service that writes updated information from SQL to AD was choking and not getting alternate extensions properly - which had the effect of wiping them out in some cases. This could be what you're seeing - I'm testing on 4.0(2) and my 4.0(3.81) boxes (4.0(4) pre release) and don't see this issue - this bug was specific to 4.0(3) release.


This is fixed in 4.0(4) (not released yet) - I'm checking to see if it was bundled into an ES or not.

jsailers Fri, 01/23/2004 - 15:51
User Badges:

That answers my question. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

lindborg Fri, 01/23/2004 - 16:01
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Just to follow up - the syncher fix is available on 4.0(3) in ES 11. You can contact TAC to get hold of the ES if you want to go down that path.

Actions

This Discussion