Dear All Network Experts,
I have problems with my core switches recently. MSFC on one of my core switches reset itself with no reason. At that time, it caused
problems on VLAN routing. The problem was resolved by power cycle the core switch.
I have summarized the events as following:
1. 2 x CAT 6509 run HSRP and connect together via Gbit port on its SUP2.
2. Both software version running on it are
WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE Hw : 3.5
Fw : 7.1(1)
Sw : 7.1(2)
WS-F6K-PFC2 Hw : 3.2
WS-F6K-MSFC2 Hw : 2.2
Fw : 12.1(8a)E5
Sw : 12.1(8a)E5
Summary of events:
1. MSFC on the primary core switch reset itself. Log = %SYS-5-MOD_NOSCPPINGRESPONSE:Module 15 not responding... resetting module
2. After it recovered, it failed to route properly for the VLANs that were defined on it.
3. Unable to gain telnet access to MSFC or session 15 from console on the primary core switch (authentication problems)
4. Analyst decided to reset MSFC on the primary core switch manually. After it recovered, the routing problem still persisted.
5. Analyst decided to change HSRP configuration (increase priority) on the second core switch to become active, but the routing problem still couldn't be resolved.
6. Analyste decided to power off the primary core switch. After it recover, everything was back to normal. (all problems was gone.)
There are 3 questions here.
1. Why did the MSFC on the primary core switch reset itself ?
2. Why the secondary core switch couldn't route properly when it became active HSRP ?
3. How to prevent this problem ?