cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI light for integrated mobile phones

timforehand
Level 1
Level 1

We are able to check unity messages through our cell phones but do not know by default if we have new voice mail as our cell phones do not have voice mail. I have come up with a way by using Message Notification section of Subscribers to sent a call out to the provider to turn the light on but if you read mail in exchange or from the VOIP phone it does not turn the indicator on the cell phone off.

Can anyone tell me another way to do it?

This is what I am sending currently to turn it on

3127 wait 4 seconds and then send directory number 2114

I know this is confusing but any direction would be appreciated.

10 Replies 10

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You don't mention your Unity version or your switch integration (both important tid bits of info here), but I think you should be able to do this using alternate MWI extensions - but depending on what switch integration you're using you may have to do some fancy foot work. If you're using CM here then it'll assume all MWIs will go out through the normal CM channels which is not what you want - you want it to dial the digits you noted here directly (right?).

You can have Unity send out MWIs using different methods than your primary integration (i.e. analog or serial integration) by editing the .INI file it's using. In the case of CM this is likely the \commserver\intlib\Cisco0002.ini file. You can check to be sure using the Edit Switch Utility tool found in the Tools Depot under the Switch Integration Tools - it'll list the INI file name down at the bottom and they're all stored in the \commserver\intlib\ directory.

You simply add additional [MWI AlternateX] sections to the switch file and indicate the method and which special character will precede the lamp code in the SA (i.e. "@" sign). For instance, a switch file that used CM as it's switch integration and had and alternate analog MWI type that used "@" in the subscriber's lamp code to identify them would have a section at the bottom that looked like this:

[MWI Default]

Active=Yes

MWIType=TAPI

CodesChangeable=No

[MWI Alternate1]

Active=Yes

Digit=@

MWIType=Analog

PortMemory=No

LampOn=1234,X

LampOff=5678,X

CodesChangeable=Yes

RetryCount=2

RetryInterval=5

The "X" in the lamp on/off codes for analog there are replaced with the primary extension number of the subscriber. So in the SA you'd go to the messages page and add an alternate MWI that looked something like "@X" it it'd end up going out as an analog call - you need to be sure you have some ports setup to do MWI outbound dials and the like - you may have to fiddle with the timing (i.e. you'll have to add commas for the pauses you talked about) but I think this can be made to work.

Doing it as an MWI code like this will ensure Unity will send a lamp off when the messages are cleared as opposed to only sending a lamp on when new messages arrive.

I am using Unity 4.0(2) and Callmanager 3.33

A bit more info and an exact example

My CCM extension is 5114 and my cell phone extension is 2114.

Internally to turn the lamp on the cell phone I dial 3127 wait for 3 beeps and dial 12114 to turn it off I dial 3127 wait for 3 beepe and dial 02114.

The last 4 digits dialed will have to change for every user so the 2114 would change.

I do have alternate extensions currently in Unity.

So where I am confused (to start with) is what I would put in the LampOn=, and LampOff= field of the ini for it to pick the alternate extension when it sends the Alternate MWI.

you should be able to do with with:

LampOn=3127,,,,,,1X

LampOff=3127,,,,,,0X

and stick "@2114" (or appropriate extension) in the alternate MWI field for that subscriber - the 2114 (in this case) should be stuffed into the "X" field for the lamp code - I don't have a system setup to try this just at the moment but that's how it should work.

You'll have to fiddle with the number of commas there to get the wait time right - not sure how long "3 beeps" is in your setup.

This is what my INI looks like:

[Identity]

SwitchManufacturer=CISCO

SwitchModel=CallManager

SwitchSoftwareVersion=3.0(1) or later

IntegrationType=TAPI

[MWI Default]

MWIType=TAPI

Active=Yes

CodesChangeable=No

[MWI Alternate1]

Active=Yes

Digit=@

MWIType=Analog

PortMemory=No

LampOn=3127,,,1X

LampOff=3127,,,0X

CodesChangeable=Yes

RetryCount=2

RetryInterval=5

Do I need to restart any services for it to read it?

I am unable to put in the "@2114" (withour quotes) as it only is allowing me numbers.

I am unsure of what you mean by this statement:

you need to be sure you have some ports setup to do MWI outbound dials and the like

Yes, you'll need to restart Unity to reread the switch integration files.

On your port capabilities tab in the Unity Telephony Integration Manager (in the Tools Depot) you have to make sure at least one port is capable of out dialing.

I am still not able to get it to work but I believe the problem is with sending the MWI out.

I have gone to Manage Integrations and looked at the ports and I have check marks in Dialout MWI but I do not know if that is what I need.

Is there somewhere in Unity that I can check and see if I am sending anything out and what I am sending?

The Port Status Monitor will show what's happening on the ports (if anything) here...

Presumably you got it to take the @ sign after the restart, right? That's something, anyway. I need to hop over to a lab and snag a system setup like you have - I've tried this on my SIP system and forced the lamp out the serial port, for instance, and that works dandy. I need to get on a TAPI integration and see if I can force something out analog - it may be that all combinations don't work. I'll try to do that today before taking off.

I still can't put an @ sign in under Subscribers Alternate Extensions it tells me it is an invalid character.

It's not their alternate _extension_ it's an alternate MWI... very, very different here.

If you can't stick, say "@1234" as an MWI on the messages page for a subscriber then you have something screwed up in your INI file - I can do this on all my test boxes no problem.

and just to follow up here - one of the core engineers here tried this on their CM setup and it worked fine - so we know this can work. They used the same INI file you posted here so I'm reasonably sure we're on the right track.

If you have the "@1234" defined as an alternate MWI string on the message page for a user it should dial that string on one of the voice ports (i.e. it'll go off hook and dial "3127,,,11234" to turn the lamp on and "3127,,,01234" to turn the lamp off).