cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel IP phone on a Cisco switch

paul.p
Level 1
Level 1

A customer wants to use Nortel IP phones and they have Cisco 3524 switches. The voice and data are in different VLANs, and the computers are plugged into the IP phones. I can specify on the phone which VLAN to use. Should the switch port be set up for dot1q trunking? How can I set the switch port to use Diffserv?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

CKBudrodeen
Level 1
Level 1

If your phones are on a different VLAN to the PCs, then you must configure the switch port for trunking.

The phone should take care of QoS i.e. it should arrive at the switch correctly marked - I know this is the case with Cisco IP phones, and I'd be confident it is the same with Nortel.

Regards.

Nortel tells me their IP phones do not do dot1q trunking.

That would be a problem.

The only solution would be to put the phones & the PCs in the same VLAN. Whilst this is not good design, it does work - this was the way we first set up our Cisco IP Phone/PC network, and we didn't have any noticable problems. We did change the design later on to split into two VLANs.

Depends on what sort of loads are on the LAN.

I have done just that as a temporary solution. There are only about 15 devices on the network at each location. It is too soon to tell if the service is acceptable. Thanks

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: