Views
Helpful
Replies

linking three 2950s together

dreihs
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie question:

I am thinking of getting three 2950T-48 switches to replace some hubs. I only have one run from the closet to the server room so figured i would have to daisy chain them and just connect one back to the server room. These switches each have 2 10/100/1000 base-T ports. How are these switches linked and will I need crossovers for these connections?

Thanks for your help and patience.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I usually order them, or make them myself. When I have seen crossover cables in stores, 9 times out of 10 they are only 2 crossed pairs, good for 10/100 only.

Interesting, though, is that I have seen some switches (3Com) that have internal circuitry to auto-cross the copper ports when necessary. So you can use regular straight-through patch cables to link switches, and they take care of the crossing automatically.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

You are correct, your best option for three 2950T-48 switches in one closet is to daisy-chain the 10/100/1000 ports.

Let's say, 10/100/1000 port #1 into the 10/100/1000 port #2 of the switch above it, etc. until you get to the top switch in the stack, then connect that one's 10/100/1000 port #1 to the cable run to the server room.

You will need crossover cables for this, but not your average run-of-the-mill 10/100 Ethernet crossover, which crosses only two of the four pairs in a Cat5 or better cable. You need all four pairs crossed, according to the pinout in the following link:

Four Twisted-Pair Cable Pinouts for 1000BASE-T Ports

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00800d7683.html#1019506

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input.

Question: are these 4 crossed pair cables available at your local PC Big Box store or do you find that they are regularly ordered?

Have a good day.

I usually order them, or make them myself. When I have seen crossover cables in stores, 9 times out of 10 they are only 2 crossed pairs, good for 10/100 only.

Interesting, though, is that I have seen some switches (3Com) that have internal circuitry to auto-cross the copper ports when necessary. So you can use regular straight-through patch cables to link switches, and they take care of the crossing automatically.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: