cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a theoretical maximum....

IAMCNE
Level 1
Level 1

of how many routers you can have in any one OSPF area?

Thanks in advance!!

3 Replies 3

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Loaded question....

At least one. :-) It's really all going to depend on the number and types of routes, the types of routers, the rate of change in the network, and a lot of other things. Real numbers run between 40 and 600, from what I've seen in the field. The range is wide because circumstances vary.

Could you describe the type of network, and the problem you're trying to solve? We might be able to give a more closely aligned range with that information.

:-)

Russ.W

Well, I just trying to get a general idea, I don't really have any issues just wondering what a network redesign from EIGRP to OSPF might look like in our scenario.

Thanks though!!

Okay.... I know there are some old design docs that say 40 is the max, or some such nonsense--we really do have some networks running in the hundreds of routers in a single area.

If you want to email me off line and ask for more specifics, that would be fine--it's probably something you could get help from your local SE on as well, with how a redesign on your network in ospf would look, and what a good migration plan would look like. Your local SE can also get their upline design folks involved, or run it up to the DNA Team for comments/help/etc, as well.

:-)

Russ.W

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: