cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

POE 802.3af and IP Phone

ngss
Level 1
Level 1

Apart from IP Phone 7970, what other ip phone 79xx series that will support POE 802.af? and expected availability?

Thanks

SSng

4 Replies 4

patsbc
Level 1
Level 1

Future phones will support both 802.af and Cisco's POE. I'm under NDA so I can't give you model numbers or dates.

Be aware that with the 7970, you will need a power adapter to use full brightness on the set, or full duplex speakerphone, regardless if you are using 802.af or Cisco POE.

Pat

Pat,

I wonder why? How much power that 7970 required to make it full brightness. What's the Class Number is 7970 fall into? I noticed that the 7970 only used 10.25W. Isn't that you can draw 15.4W under 802.3af spec?

Thanks

SSng

Here is my understanding but needs to be confirmed by Cisco.

The 7970 is able to get its full power from in-line power and requires the following two elements :

- Latest Catalyst switch that support 802.af (3560, Cat4k)

- CDP enhanced to negotiate the power with the phone.

For example, the new 3560 supports 802.3af but we will need to wait for a future release to get the enhanced CDP. So today, you can't get full power with the 3560 thus requiring the external power adapter.

The latest Catalyst 4500 blades (WS-X4248, WS-X4548) with CatOS 8.3(1)GLX seems to support full power to the 7970 because it also has the enhanced CDP built-in.

Can someone can confirm all this ?

Hope this help,

Tony

Thanks for keep the discussion going.

I just happen to stumble upon few slides somewhere showing IP Phone 7965 and 7975 in the pipeline.

My guess that this version should get the full power!

PS. Apologise if I cause a stir in this forum

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: