Router hangs at initial configuration dialog

modernart
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

my 2620 hangs at the initial setup:

-------------------------

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.0(7)XK1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEAS

E SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info

Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 15-Mar-00 04:28 by phanguye

Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x8080DBA0

cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 45056K/4096K bytes of memory

Processor board ID JAD05320R17 (3691429275)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:yes

----------------------

I can't get into rom Mode either.

Any ideas?

Regards

Eicke

4 Replies 4

Hello,

when you enter NO at the system configuration dialog initial configuration question, do you get a router prompt ? If so, change the configuration register to 0x2102 and reboot the router:

Router#conf t

Router(config)#config-register 0x2102

Router(config)#end

Router#wr

Router#reload

HTH,

GP

Hello,

thanks for your idea.

I finally changed to another "original" cable. And it worked.

Regards

Eicke

dmfh
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old post but I wanted to share the solution I found to this very same problem.  Was setting up a 2620 with a 32 ASYNC card and was hung up at the initial config dialog.  No input was being accepted, not even enter.  So after a few hours troubleshooting or reading/searching online I finally was fed up and read the manual from the archives.  In there I found the serial connection settings they advised had a different setting than all the other 10 devices in my newly put together CCNA lab.  The manual states to use 2 stop bits.  All the other connections I use 1.  I have 2911,1921,3570's etc.  They all work with 1 stop bit.  So in case someone else like me is having the same issue I figured I should take the time to post this and hopefully save them hours of time.  RTFM is now ingrained in me forever.  Have a good day and happy studying.

Thanks for sharing your experience and your solution to this issue. There may be other participants in the community who will benefit from this.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco