Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3550-48 - 12.1(13)EA1a-SMI **newbie**

ndiotte
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

In the past you have helped me, so we will try again once more...

I have two of these switches, connected via a fiber gigabit interface. Switches are called Command, and Member1. Both vlan1 have ips.

Question 1: How do I know if there has been a release to the IOS, and what advantages are there to upgrading. Is it mostly security updates, or feature updates when a new IOS is released.

Question 2: I've setup MRTG, to monitor the bandwith being used on the ports, and I noticed there is simply a tone of SNMP OIDs, currently everything is enabled in a group called "Everything" as read only. Is this a security issue? Should I only let certain OIDs be available, if so where can I read more about what they actually are...

Question 3: When I try to save my configuration to my TFTP server, I get the following error message. "%Error opening flash:vlan.dat (No such file or directory)". Upon inspection, I noticed that the file vlan.dat is missing from Command, but is present on Member1. I know I didn't delete it, so how do I regenerate the file, or what should I do?

Question 4: Last question.. I need to be able to find out what IP address is assigned to a port on a switch. I tried using the mac-address-table, but it's not showing all the ports. I know it's because there hasn't been any activity and it's removed the data, but is there not a way for me to query a specific port, and find out it's the mac address of the ethernet card attached.. Then ping .255 and do an arp -a to find it's ip? Maybe I have to enable something on the switch..

I know this is a lot of questions... hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Nick

5 Replies 5

ndiotte
Level 1
Level 1

If someone could help me with question 3, or help me understand what caused the switch to delete it.

Thanks,

You need to check few things before confirming that the file is deleted.

1) vlan databse

show vlan brief

what does these commands return. If you have the info abt your vlans then the file is not deleted.

Then you can find it in some directories try doing CD to all directories and look for it.

I will try to locate resources that explain how to retrieve the lost info.

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- ------------------- --------- ------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2,

Fa0/3, Fa0/4

Fa0/5, Fa0/6,

Fa0/7, Fa0/8

Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12

Fa0/13, Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16

Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20

Fa0/21, Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/24

Fa0/25, Fa0/26, Fa0/27, Fa0/28

Fa0/29, Fa0/30, Fa0/31, Fa0/32

Fa0/33, Fa0/34, Fa0/35, Fa0/36

Fa0/37, Fa0/38, Fa0/39, Fa0/40

Fa0/41, Fa0/42, Fa0/43, Fa0/44

Fa0/45, Fa0/46, Fa0/47, Fa0/48

Gi0/1

1002 fddi-default active

1003 token-ring-default active

1004 fddinet-default active

1005 trnet-default active

--------

This isn't really something I need to be worried about is it? I mean, it's not affecting the switch performance because it can't find the vlan file?

vinodmorsa
Level 1
Level 1

1) You need to read the IOS release notes to find the upgrades. At times the new IOS has features enhanced or added. Mostly they resolve the TAC tickets raised for that product.

2)It is safe to have Read only in SNMP config, but also include :

snmp-server host host-IP-Address traps

to let the traps to be sent to a specific host and place a ACl to stop other traffic.

3) aswered in previous post.

4) you want the ip of the interface or the device conected to the interface?

4) I'm basically trying to find out ip address of the network card that is attached to the interface on the switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: