cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you disable to ability of the caller to empty the deleted items in Exch

bvanbenschoten
Level 5
Level 5

In a previous post below it was stated that there is no way to disable the ability of a user to empty the deleted items in exchange.

Is this still true?

Are there any plans to add this feature? (please)

I have some customers that use the deleted items like a folder to store messages. I can see someone erasing, by accident, all those at once and wanting them back.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.eeaad7f

lindborg - CISCO SYSTEMS

Feb 20, 2004, 7:23am PST

No... that option only dictates the behavior when you delete a message (i.e. is a copy sent to the deleted items folder or not) - it does not affect if the option to empty the deleted items folder is offered or not. There's currently no way to turn that option off.

5 Replies 5

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

I couldn't tell from your post if you had a VM only deployment. We have a unified messaging deployment with Unity and Exchange. But even before we had Unity, we had the feature of recovering deleted items. From our Outlook inbox, we can select the Deleted Items folder and then select Tools - Recover Deleted Items. As an Exchange admin, you can set deleted mailbox retention through the properties of individual mailbox store policies. There is a Deletion Settings field that allows you to "Keep Deleted Items For (Days)". Enter the number of days to retain deleted items. If you set the retention period to 0, messages are not retained and cannot be recovered. Even if you are a VM only deployment, I'm thinking you could set this option. Then if needed, recover the Deleted Items folder on the behalf of the user? Here is the MS link that discusses how to set up - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/deploy/confeat/06x2kadc.mspx

Regards,

Ginger

Thats a great tip. I'll discuss it with the LAN administrator and see what he thinks.

Thanks !

Does anyone know what determines the behaviour of items deleted or replied-to from within the voice menus? For example, if a user deletes an item after listening to it, that email is not placed into the Deleted Items folder in Outlook; however, if a mail message is deleted then it does.

A similiar thing happens happens for a voice-mail replied-to from within Unity; meaning, the item does not get copied to the Sent Items folder.

Is there a setting on Unity to handle this?

Thank you,

Erik.

There is a setting in the Class Of Service under Messages that will allow deleted VMs to go to the Exchange deleted items folder. I'm using Unity 4.0.3.

I dont know about the sent items.

As Brian noted, the deleted items behavior is controlled on the class of service.

The sent items folder is not configurable - voice mail messages are not copied to the sent items folder - it'd be too big of a drag on the inbox size and we don't allow access to sent items from over the phone regardless (i.e. you can't empty your sent items folder from over the phone or access messages in it).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: