cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ambiguity in ONS training material

david-wood
Level 1
Level 1

In ONS 15540 training module 2, titled "Backplane and Chassis Configuration" page 5 provides a detailed breakdown of the fixed and non-configurable MUX/DMUX linecard to Transponder linecard backplane cross connects (wrt 4 & 8 Channel OADM's).

The text of page 8 however, implies that these backplane cross connects are wired differently for 16 Channel OADM's. Other documents suggest ONS components are compatible across the family, therefore this suggests either a misunderstanding on my part, or an ambiguity in the training material.

Yu-Tien Chi is the instructor of the material, and Larry Engel presented it. Would anyone care to clarify whether the backplane connections are accurately depicted on page 5 or not?

1 Reply 1

rtappend_2
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have the training material that you refer to, however I may be able to clarify this for you.

The ONS15540 ESP has a fixed optical backplane which, as you say, provides connectivity between the transponder linecards and OADM's. The optical connectivity across this backplane is independant of the OADM or Mux/Demux module used (ie no different whether 4ch/8ch OADM or 16ch Mux/Demux.

The ONS15540 ESPx does not use an optical backplane, but provides the connectors at the front of the OADM/Mux-Demux and transponder linecards, allowing the user to patch these together, either using direct multi-fibre patch-cords or via a cross-connect patch panel.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco