Having problems with the MMC controls from Unity and from the client.
Cisco Unity 4.03 configured with failover.
Cisco Call Manager 3.3.3 SR 4A 2 node cluster.
All servers on the same VLAN
All servers are running gbit
All attached to same switch
All servers are HP Proliant DL380 G3
Secondary NICs are disabled.
When playing a message (e.g. Opening Greeting) to an IP phone, I get intermittent failed attempts with occasional success. "Unknown problems are preventing playback" or something to that affect. This issue only occurs on the Primary server. The Secondary server works perfectly.
The only difference between the two installations (in terms of the actual install process) was that the primary had MSDE installed, then removed and SQL installed. I have found no DNS, name resolution, or other TCP/IP related issues on these servers.
I have opened a Cisco TAC case, but have had very little success bringing this to resolution. It would be nice if there were some troubleshooting steps I could look at, or some type of a trace file that would identify where the failure is occuring.