Views
Helpful
Replies

DB walker, stranded wav file

slc2
Level 1
Level 1

Running dbWalker version:3.0.89, UM 3.15, E2k

I ran DBwalker with the option to check for stranded wav files. I got a bunch (500+) of similar type of entries:

1605:(error) stranded wav file name=C:\CommServer\Stream Files\5193test _Off Hours_MrGreeting_283108cc.wav

You can fix this by selecting the 'Removed orphaned WAV files automatically' option and re running dbWalker

I then checked using CUDLE to view SQL and viewed the files on ...\stream files. All three file names do not match for any one subscriber.

Before I tell it to remove the orphaned WAV files automatically, Can someone explain why the difference between all three locations?

What exactly will the remove option remove and from where?

TIA.

Sabas Chois

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

which 3 locations are you talking about? The one on the subscriber table is for their voice name, the one for the call handler is the voice name of the call handler (not used for primary handlers associated with subscribers) and then, of course, there are the stream files for the messaging rules (greeting rules) which are the custom recorded greetings for handlers/subscribers - I'm not sure which locations you're looking at, though... based on the error message those are greeting files for objects that have been deleted and they didn't get cleaned up for whatever reason.

The option to remove the orphaned wav files will go through the commserver\stream files\ folder and each WAV file in there that is not referenced as an objects voice name (all objects can have these including name lookup handlers even though they're not used), a greeting (all call handlers and subscribers can have these) or as an interview handler question is deleted from that directory.

The three locations I looked at are:

1- MessagingRule table

2- C:\commserver\stream file folder

3- The errors from DBwalker.

For any one subscriber, I expected to find a match between the MessagingRule table and the files on the \stream file folder. But, that is not the case. I checked several entries on the MsgRule table and could not find a matching file on the folder. I looked at the this table since most of the errors referenced to the different greetings, Standard, Alternate, etc.

For example:

1605:(error) stranded wav file name=C:\CommServer\Stream Files\ch_AKA2 _Alternate_MrGreeting_09ada1cd.wav

You can fix this by selecting the 'Removed orphaned WAV files automatically' option and re running dbWalker

1605:(error) stranded wav file name=C:\CommServer\Stream Files\ch_AKA2 _Standard_MrGreeting_09b09991.wav

I was verifying the errors since this is the first time I ran this option and so many showed up.

I am still confused as to where I would be verifying the active information or for that matter the orphaned entries.

If I understand what you are saying, DBwalker checks entries or references in the tables of the database and compares it against a WAV file on the \stream file folder. If the tables have entries that do not

have an actual file, it's considered orphan and can be deleted.

Thanks

Sabas

thanks.

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

dbWalker will actually do both ends of this equation - if there are files found in the \stream files folder that are not referenced anywhere in the database it will delete the WAV file. It will also find any entry in the database that does not have an actual WAV file in the \stream files folder and will remove that reference.

but if you're not comfortable running the option to clean it up, it's not going to do any great harm to have some orphaned WAV files on the HD. You can leave it as is if you want.