Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Removing IPX off of routers and switches

Unanswered Question
Apr 14th, 2004
User Badges:

I'm in a IP and IPX network environment. We don't have any more need of IPX on our servers. I want to remove IPX off of our routers. How can I do it? We have 3600 series routers and 4006 and 6500 Series switches. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jgross Thu, 04/15/2004 - 03:28
User Badges:

Hi,

just configure no ipx routing in flobal configuration mode will remove all the ipx stuff on your router.

Bye

Jo

rmosby Thu, 04/15/2004 - 08:37
User Badges:

So after I run the no ipx routering, I remove the IPX entries from the startup-config file? Also what about the running-config? How do I check if IPX is running even after the change?

Thanks Jo, for you help in this matter.

jgross Thu, 04/15/2004 - 10:55
User Badges:

Hi,

no, after you configured no ipx routing in global configuration mode, you remove ipx routing from the running config only. All IPX traffic through the router will stop. You not have removed ipx routing from the startup config until now. You can now save the configuration with copy run start. Now you have also removed the ipx routing commands from the startup config.

To check if ipx is removed, you can enter show ipx route at the vommand line, and you will see somthing like IPX Protocol not running.

So it looks like that

Router#conf t

Router(config)#no ipx routing

Router(config)#end

Router#sh run <-- No more IPX in running cfg

Router#sh conf <-- Still IPX commands in startup cfg

Router#copy run start

Router#show conf <-- No more IPX in startup cfg

Router#show ipx route

Router#IPX not running ...

Bye

Jo

rmosby Thu, 04/15/2004 - 13:48
User Badges:

Jo,

THANK YOU THANK YOU...you set me on the right path. I will look into this and let you know how it goes. Thanks so much!!!

willfachi Fri, 04/16/2004 - 14:38
User Badges:

Just a thought - You might want to give your new settings a few hours or a day or so to make sure nothing drastic has happened before you save your running config. Just a small amount of caution might keep you out of a potentially bad situation. Of course it depends on the complexity and size of your organization.

goodluck - willfachi

rmosby Mon, 04/26/2004 - 07:25
User Badges:

Thanks!!!! It work with no problem!!! Thanks so much for everyone for your helped! This save my time is so many ways!!!!

Actions

This Discussion