cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515 crash

paolob
Level 1
Level 1

I'm experiencing a sudden 515 crash apparently without any sign - no crashinfo at all. PIX's are 515 (not E) in failover mode with PIXos 6.3(3).

Any suggestion?

5 Replies 5

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

I would contact Cisco TAC about this. One thing they may ask, is if this occurs on a regular basis or not, and if this is the first time.

It occurs often, approx. 1-2 times a week on only one of about 10 customer's PIX installed.

Hi,

Check the following Cisco TAC notification and see if this relates to you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_field_notice09186a00800949c7.shtml

Jay

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Connect a PC to the serial console of the Pix and let it log all console output to a file. When it crashes again, check the console output at the time of the crash; even if no crashinfo is written to flash, it should be written to console (or at least something should be - if not then it could be a power failure).

When did it start? Was there any change in traffic pattern/traffic type (e.g. did you just start using VoIP - just an example)?

Is this firewall handling a different kind of traffic than the other ones that don't crash?

It could also be a hardware failure - one way to check would be to swap a working FW with the crashing one (and swap the configs as well obviously) - if the same physical unit keeps crashing it's likely a hardware issue. If the swapped one starts crashing it's a bug.

hth

Herbert

One other thing, if you have download access on cisco.com, I would suggest getting the latest 6.3.5.x software version available - if this is a software bug then there's a chance it's fixed in the newer release.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card