cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Controlling multilink calls on a server

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

A simple design requirement that I'm having trouble finding a useful solution to... Hopefully I'm merely overlooking something obvious...

Background:

Two dial-in servers using local authentication with about 100 lines each (ISDN PRI to 3640s).

Spokes using ISDN backup with all calls placed by spokes using a single BRI interface and no dial back.

Just enough lines for 1 b-channel per spoke if all spokes require ISDN backup at the same time (think disaster scenarios).

The Goal:

Under normal conditions, only a few to a few dozen spokes will need ISDN, so the desire is to use MLPPP for maximum possible bandwidth. The challenge is that as the number of spokes requiring ISDN exceeds 50% we need a way to force all spokes to limit themselves to a single B-channel without manual intervention or additional hardware.

Acceptable Alternative (if "the Goal" can't be met):

First "X" spokes to dial in get MLPPP, any additional spokes which call in get limited to a single channel (note that this requires provisioning extra PRIs to handle X 2-B-channel calls under worst case conditions).

Further Constraints:

Manual intervention is not acceptable--operation is 24x7 but staffing is only 8x5.

Local authentication is strongly preferred. Adding RADIUS or TACACS servers would have a major cost impact.

Dial-in servers also support other classes of callers and dial-out connections, so dialer profiles must be used, which eliminates BAP/BACP.

Single points of failure are not acceptable, nor are solutions which the TAC could not support (I don't want to be a single point of failure either :-).

Thanks in advance for any ideas which lead to a cost effective solution.

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

1 Reply 1

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nope..what you are asking is not possible using IOS on cisco boxes. You can have AAA doing some intelligent piece of work where it can track of number of b_channel in use and then allow inbound connection accordingly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: