cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS File Name in Flash

md_ani
Level 1
Level 1

By mistake I had copied IOS of 2600 in 3640 but Thanx God I had space in Flash that is why it did'nt deleted my 3640 IOS. I have deleted the IOS of 2600 by command delete flash : file name. Problem is that when I am giving the command show flash it is also showing the file name of IOS of 2600 but it is written (deleted) beside its file name. I have reloaded the router also but it is showing again.

Help me pls as my Boss ...............

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some of the file systems implemented in IOS on some platforms retain the file after it is deleted and mark its status as "deleted". The file can not be used when it is in this state, but it does give you the option to undelete the file and make it usable again.

To get the file out of flash after it has been deleted use the command squeeze flash:

This will completely remove files that have been deleted and free up the space that they have occupied.

HTH

Rick

Pls see the error message I am recieving

Router#squeeze flash: c2600-i-mz.122-10a.bin

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker

I am confirm the file name is correct

I am not sure of giving the command

Router#squeeze flash:

only becoz it may delete my actual IOS file also

Pls help me

Router#squeeze flash:

Is the correct command, it will only delete IOS versions marked as "deleted".

Dear Steve,

Pls see the error I am receiving after giving the command.

Router#squeeze flash:

Squeeze operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]

first create squeeze log by erasing the entire device

%Error squeezing flash (Bad file number)

Router#

Anis

I encountered this situation a while back. As I remember what we did was to make sure that we had a copy on our tftp server of the good file in flash (if you do not have a good copy locally, use the copy flash: tftp: command to make a copy on an available machine). Then we erased flash (which will get rid of the bad file and the good file). Then we copied the good file back into flash. I suggest that you follow this procedure to resolve your issue with flash.

HTH

Rick

Dear rburts,

Deleting the ectual IOS also will took me in rommon mode and there it'll take 1 hr to copy the IOS using xmodem command as my BootStartp does'nt support tftpdnld command. Boss will kill me if I'll dowm the router for 1 hr.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco