cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client clobbers XP PPTP connectoid

jgmdean
Level 1
Level 1

I was required to load VPN client 4.0.3 (C) to access an employer's network via CISCO hardware. Now a previously function PPTP connectoid under my XP PRO to another network will no longer work. If I deinstall the Cisco VPN Client it works again. If I re-install it fails. Why did the Cisco VPN client break my PPTP and how do I fix this?

2 Replies 2

jgmdean
Level 1
Level 1

CISCO VPN client connects using IPSEC and has no PPTP options. I've tried recreating th connectoid to same effect. The symptom is the connectoid hangs on "Verifying User Name and Password", as I said remove the CISCO VPN client and it works just fine.

jgmdean
Level 1
Level 1

I have discovered a REALLY UGLY WORKAROUND:

This seems to prevent the CVPNC from breaking the libraries, DLL association or whatever else is causing the problem.

- De-install the CVPNC (settings and certificates will stay in the registry)

- Create and/or verify that the MS-PPTP connectoid is working

- Re-install the CVPNC

- Do Not Start a CVPNC session Yet!

- Connect using the MS-PPTP connectoid (this should work even on the LAN side of your WRTG54)

- Start the CVPNC session

- Disconnect the MS-PPTP connectoid

- Marvel that your XP routing table survived. (cmd.exe: netstat -nr)

- start using the CVPNC connection.

In the future you will have to establish the MS-PPTP connectoid before the CVPNC connection, then disconnect it, every time you establish the CVPNC. If you don't do this the MS-PPTP will not work and you'll have to do the CVPNC de-install/re-install over again (2 reboots).

CISCO COULD YOU PLEASE LOOK AT THIS? It smells like a simple library loading order issue, and you're not winning any friends right now.

There's another thread on this started by lacedo.