cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 1721 - SDM CONSOLE NOT WORKING

colatunji
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get the SDM of a 1721 router working, that has a WIC card installed. I have connected the light blue Console cable into the serial port of a laptop and the other end into the back of the router marked Console. However whenever I open IE and enter the router's default ip address on the laptop which is http://10.10.10.1 it keeps on saying Page not Found. I have tried connecting the RJ45 from laptop into router, also individually connecting both router/laptop cables into the switching hub but I am still getting no response from the router. I have tried pinging the router IP addr no reply.Please tell me what I have done wrong because I am spending so much time trying to resolve this problem.

Thanking you in advance

Caroline

5 Replies 5

e.systems
Level 1
Level 1

There are two ways of doing this.

1. Light Blue Console Cable

You do not use IE to access router in this scenario. You need to use Hyperterminal or some other terminal emulation software to access the router command line. Hyperterminal comes as part of XP , 2000 under Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->Communications.

2. Cat5 Patch lead

You connect this cable into one of the Fasthethernet ports on the router, and the other end in to your network port on your laptop. You then need to configure your laptop IP address to be in the same subnet as the router e.g. 10.10.10.2 and only then will you be able to access the router via IE.

Thank you for your response, Sorry to bother you I have connected to COM1 in Hyperterminal etc What are the commands that I type in to get into the SDM working because connecting TO TCP/WINSOCK on port 23 using 10.10.10.1 as host address does not work either

Thank you in advance

Caroline

You are trying to connect using TCP/IP instead of the serial port. To gain access, when you try and connect , click on the drop-down box (within hyperterminal) that says "connect using" and select Com1 instead. Then at the next screen it will ask you for settings, and these will be:

9600 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

Hope this helps/

Thank you so much for your input its been very helpful.There is always a first time for everything.This is my first brave time trying to configure a Cisco router. I was following what the Cisco SDM Quick guides stated, it is a bit ambigous, Thats why I was experiencing so much problems

Big thanks

Caroline

Hi,

You need to connect the Fast Ethernet interface in your router to the NIC in your Lap Top.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/products_quick_start_chapter09186a00801e74e7.html#44840

You cannot invoke SDM over console.

Regards,

Ravikumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: