Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Long delay to listen to messages after pressing 1

On a Unity 4.03 sr1, one subscriber has a long delay, 45 seconds, after pressing the 1 to listen to messages. Everything else is normal, logging in, hearing how many messages he has. But when he presses one, it's a long delay. This happens inside the network or outside the network, so the issue is with Unity. This is unified messaging with an off box Exch 2000. This person has subfolders and has about a gig worth of messages. But, another subscriber with 1.4 gigs of messages with subfolders has no problems at all. What could be different with this account than all the others? What can I look for? Thanks.

6 Replies 6

BrianChernish
Level 1
Level 1

I am also experiencing this and the user's mailbox is only 70mb. Call-Manager 3.3(3) and Unity 4.0(4) - 120 users

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

I had a similar problem once when we had restructured our Exchange and Directory Services systems. Try checking that usinty is set up to "talk" to valid Exchange servers, DCs and GCs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a80.html

I had a similar problem once when we had restructured our Exchange and Directory Services systems. Try checking that usinty is set up to "talk" to valid Exchange servers, DCs and GCs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a80.html

I had a similar problem once when the Unity server was setup to force the NIC at 100 Full duplex but the port was set to auto detect on the switch. Make sure they're either both auto detect or both forced to 100 full.

Also if you connect to the Exchange server from the Unity server and try and copy a file from one to the other, does it take longer than expected?

Thanks for the info, but this only affects one subscriber out of 500.

This has been the case in many of our UNITY deployments. Each time a user accesses their voicemail box unity opens up an index with Exchange and parses through the entire inbox of the user. Depending on the size of the user’s inbox this can introduce minimal to excessive delays. The delay that is being introduced is actually the Exchange server not responding to Unity’s request fast enough. This is directly related to the amount of concurrent indexes (indices) that the Exchange server can handle at one time. In order to resolve this problem at another account it required a twofold solution. The first was to move the users Emails to a separate folder and the second, more critical, change was to reconfigure the Exchange server to Microsoft’s best standard practices which wasn’t done originally (i.e., moving log files to separate drive).