cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Internal/External IP addresses

drewkbell
Level 1
Level 1

I have my internal network with a server set to have an static internal IP addy (i.e. 10.0.0.100). I have routed, via firewall, a static external IP to this internal address. Is there any way to access the computer using the external IP when I am behind the firewall? Another question, if I use a DNS server onsite, will this resolve the issue of the server sitting behind the firewall and a user accessing it internally using the routed url? Thanks for the help.

2 Replies 2

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

Only if there is a internal router between you and the server that is configured for nating the server like your firewall will you be able to reach the server by its external ip address. You could multinet on the server, but then you would have to multinet on the router as well. If there is no such router then neither option will be avaiable.

By onsite dns server, you mean an internal one, and normally the internal dns server contains ip addresses of hosts as they are seen inside the network. You may be thinking of the pix dns fixup, but that only applies when the dns server is outside the network - that is, you connect to the same dns server that the public connects to but you access the target (i.e., web or ftp) host from the inside and the server resides in the dmz. In order for dns fixup to work the target server, the inside user, and the dns server must all be on seperate subnets.

Let me know if this helps.

Ok - thanks for the reply.

Here is my current setup (Keep in mind that I am not a networking person).

We have a PIX Firewall 515 and a 2620 Router. I am looking to setting a DMZ up with our web server placed there. Right now, the web server only gets used internally, but I want to make it public. Where is a good place to start for all of these conversions. I know basic networking and can do basic administration on the Firewall/Router. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: