cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

qos options with frame-relay

tteslicko
Level 1
Level 1

Upper management requested traffic prioritization on UK to US link. What I found in attempting to "custom-queue" was that, It must be enabled on the interface globally...(not possible on the sub-interface). It can't be used with Frame-relay traffic-shaping which we run now. And it looks like it can't be run with WRED. Now I must consider what my options will be to satisfy upper managements request after telling them queueing was an available option. I dont' think it would be wise to pull back on the traffic shaping (enabled on the interface globally which houses some 12 subinterfaces) and to tell you the truth, custom-queing in this case may be to simple a solution anyhow. Any suggestions on directions much appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Daniel Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Have you considered using the class based approach to prioritizing and/or guaranteeing bandwidth for certain traffic types? This approach can be applied on a frame relay subinterface with the following command:

service-policy output policyname

Here is an example of something we are doing in our network for prioritizing voice and reserving for video:

class-map match-any IP_VIDEO_WAN

match ip dscp af41

match ip dscp cs4

class-map match-any IP_VOICE_WAN

match ip dscp ef

!policy-map WAN_OUTBOUND

class IP_VOICE_WAN

priority percent 30

class IP_VIDEO_WAN

bandwidth remaining percent 20

class DEFAULT_OUT_WAN

bandwidth remaining percent 70

random-detect dscp-based

Hope this helps!

Thank-you. Actually I was looking at class maps for cbwfq but that also seems to have caveats when bandwidth is specified on your sub-interfaces. I am now uprading the mem on the router ....(over 90% at dayshift) and looking at compression (tcp header or frame-relay payload) on the specific sub-interface.

The dscp I thought was a switching qos option at this time.

gscholz
Level 1
Level 1

Are you saying that Custom queuing is not available under the map class for FRTS.

Latter versions of IOS provide priroity and custom queuing and fair-queuing under the Map class which is then provided through the subinterface class statement.

I am running fair-queuing under FRTS map class and there doesn't appear to be any issues.

Just need the correct IOS levels and can run whatever level of queuin you require on a link basis

I agree with gs. I am using LLQ, CBWFQ, PQ and LFI on a point-to-point fr subinterfaces. Do you know what are my QoS options on point-to-multipoint interfaces. It seems that the same could work, provided it applies to the entire serial inerface (ie. no custom configuration on per DLCI mappings...) Any ideas? Thank you.

Stanley

ok this is all clearer now. I am running fair-queing now in that subint class.

stanleyb
Level 1
Level 1

By the way tt WRED works very well. I have implement it this over at several companies, including banks, etc. However you need Enterprise, IP Voice/Plus 12.3.5 IOS at least... and watch your mamory usage. You should max out all memory for best results.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: